Maddie's Minute

Maddie shares a minute of her life in this flat world of ours.....

Monday, April 23, 2007

TV Turn Off Week - Day 1

I thought for sure there would be no way this would fly! Maddie without her cartoons? Me without my American Idol? Then the strangest thing happened when Andy and I got home from school today around 5:00. Maddie was upstairs playing with Ms. Zhou and when she heard us come in, she galloped down the stairs, screaming "NO TV MOMMY - NO TV DADDY - I SAID, NO TV!"

This week marks TV Turn Off Week or for the really hardcore folks out there, it's a screen free week, including computers. Hmf! I'm not that hardcore! Maddie grabbed my hand and told me that SHE wanted to read a book to ME. She read me a quick story about butterflies and took both Andy and I outside for some serious chalk writing on the back porch. While taking a break from the chalk writing, she ran around the yard through plants and managed to scare all of the little creatures out of their wits. She did find a frog which kept her entertained for quite sometime. She would make it hop and then run over to tell us about how it was once a tadpole. She's three and I'm amazed that she can remember this!

After some frog chasing, we all came inside to make cookies. Maddie LOVES to cook and measure things. She usually doesn't like peanut butter, but today was the day! She and daddy mixed the ingredients and then she helped me grease the pan with Crisco. She was an absolute star at rolling dough into round balls and then flattening them in a grid pattern with a fork! I suspected that she may be one of those kids that likes batter better than the cookie itself by the way she was devouring the uncooked dough - weren't we all like that at some point?! Sure enough, the end product came out of the oven and she dropped the bombshell - "I DON'T LIKE IT" she said with every "T" hit hard. Life is about the journey, life is about the journey, life is about the journey - now what I am going to do with all of these cookies?!

We then went into the den off the kitchen and listened to music while she danced for us. Before you knew it, it was time for books and bed! I thought for sure Andy and I would succumb to the TV's whispers of "Prison Break", but we went back into the den where he took the time to update his great blog, Sentiments of Common Sense, and I graded math papers. We're still listening to music and now Lester is dancing and rolling right in the middle of us.

Happy TV Turn Off Week! Even if you aren't participating - don't forget to take the time to do the things you think you don't have time to do!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At April 23, 2007 at 9:22 AM , Blogger b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

    Dear Maddie,

    You are a very smart little girl. TV Turn Off Week is a very good idea. Did you think that up all my yourself or are you a very good listener? Miss Preeti is such a good teacher and you are such a good listener. I think you belong together at school!!! We love you lots.

    Grandpa Earl and Grandma Barbara

     
  • At April 23, 2007 at 3:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Absolutely adorable, Maddie Anna. Happy Cooking!

     
  • At April 25, 2007 at 9:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maddie,
    I was so excited to see the picture of you sharing your purple horse. I try to teach my kindergartners to share too. We just finished learning about life cycles and they loved The Very Hungry Caterpillar as well. We found a wonderful book of Butterfly ABC's with each letter spelled from the wing of a butterfly or moth. Pretty cool!

    It is truly a joy to hear about all the exciting things in your life. Please tell your Dad I remember his street chicken diet even though he ate some of your "pancakes". Also, tell your mom that she is AMAZING I can't wait to see you all, even your soon-to-be-ready brother or sister, in Portland this summer!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home