Maddie's Minute

Maddie shares a minute of her life in this flat world of ours.....

Sunday, April 15, 2007

90 Minute baths, Naps on the Way to Lunch and a Weekend with Father

Madeline' s mother took a measured risk this weekend and left Madeline with me, her father. Not that can't cook or clean, as I am certainly capable of that and I think Amanda would publically admit that I do most, if not all the cooking. This is part of a verbal "contract" we agreed to before we got married. More on that one later, as I think we may be headed to some mediation on that topic.

Anyway.... Madeline has had a pretty good weekend for a three years old. I have probably earned Father of the year.

Yesterday (Saturday) she and I headed over to school which is about 3 blocks away. This, after some quality french toast made just for her on the stove. They were delivered to her hot, and with copious amounts of Aunt Jemima syrup coating each and every piece of the toast which was cut in bite sized pieces. I tasted one (not on my diet) and it was unbelievably delicious. She has since had 5 servings of these "pancakes" and we are now out of bread. I think I am going to have to go to the store and get more.

After some cartoons and me catching up on some work and blogs, I announced that we would go to school. There is never much discussion about this as Madeline loves school. I didn't mention there were no kids there, as this would have caused enough debate for the US Senate and I was not up to it after a week of debate and arguments at work. Frankly speaking the 3 year old is much better at debating than many of my more "mature" colleagues. If any of my colleagues actually read this entry all I can say is, "if the shoe fits, wear it!".

So.... Madeline decided that since she was suppose to go to school she would wear her dress. The pink gingham one that her Aunt Sissy brought for her. She also chose white tights, those special Barbie Doll underwear AND high top hot pink Jack Purcell Converse tennis shoes. She also combed her own hair, brushed her own teeth and refused to take a bath. Speaking kindly here of my own daughter, I must admit I felt as if I was taking out a mussy haired, smelly circus clown like child. She was pretty cute though, and I didn't give a rip and enjoyed with her the independence she was trying out.

We went to school and I cleaned up one of my two offices, answer about 15 emails and got a bit more organized. We saw a lot of people who commented on Madeline's clothes and she got great joy in knowing she chose it all herself. We then went to lunch at one of the local American diner type places. She fell asleep on the way and got a good quality 35 minute power nap in right there! Perfect! We ate hamburgers and hotdogs (also not on my diet, but by this time I didn't give even a little bit of a rip), had Haagen Daaz Ice Cream and then went to the grocery store for soda, a bottle of red wine, milk, a jar of spagetti sauce and some spagetti. Again.... NONE of this stuff is on my diet, but the "give-a-rip" factor was at an all time low and decending quickly. We also went to the local video shop and Madeline happily chose 3 movies, paid for them herself and didn't even have to bargain for the discount.

*Note: Sorry but there are no photos of any of this as I discovered that the cameras I have at home are all battery deprived and the charger can only work so fast. I think the mental images work better here anyway.

About 3:30 we headed home, arrived at 4:15 and we were watching one of these movies when our friend Todd called (his wife abandoned him too and his "give-a-rip" factor was very low as well) to invite me and Maddie over for buffalo wings he had concocted himself. Maddie at that moment was in the middle of a bowl of soup and some veggies and I was starting to eye the spagetti, but alas..... WINGS were calling.

Madeline and I hopped in the car and were over to the house in no time and we were really enjoying our time. Maddie and Cooper played and giggled and raced with a minimal amount of crying, or injury. At about 6:45 both phones rang and Todd and I had to answer to the women folk off in some town I can't pronounce or even spell! We did the phone call, nodded our heads a lot and Madeline told her mother everything we had done that day. Luckily Amanda couldn't understand her.

At about 7:30 we headed home, Maddie and I read a couple of books together after she refused a bath again. I took the smelly, dirty and recalcitrant three year old to bed where she slept till 7:45 when she came in and pounced on me explained in no uncertain terms she needed french toast and to get up. She helped me make coffee and I scrounged two pieces of stale bread for the toast. She ate it and I then dropped her in the bathtub. While she was soaking I showered, dressed, did about 25 emails and kept check on her. She just wanted to stay in the tub and stay she did for about an hour and a half.

The rest of the day has been spent relaxing, drawing, playing in the playground across the street, making jello (should be ready in a couple of hours) and eating soup, French toast and later spaghetti.

Madeline's mother gets home at about midnight tonight and she will be exhausted and we have yet another week of work ahead of us. This is the tough part of the school year for me working overseas. This is the time of the year when I get extra home country sick. I long for baseball, the smell of grass growing, those early spring golf rounds where you score so well you think you should quit your job and go pro, and then you remember that your really stink and start playing like your normally do. Work is a week in and week out activity for about 4 more weeks and then we really ramp up to the end of the year and I am too busy to think about my homesickness. June arrives, we rush around to get stuff done that needs to be done and we get those big summer checks and guess what... I REMEMBER what is great about working overseas besides the wonder school, the great kids, supportive parents, the wonderful travel, and the amazing benefits. Yes folks, we also get pretty good pay for living in one of the most dynamic cities in the world.

So, this weekend has been a nice change and Madeline is no worse for wear and loves to have fun with me as well as anybody else who happens to be able to giggle and laugh with her. Life is good.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At April 15, 2007 at 8:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a fantastick weekend story! We loved hearing about it. We are glad that Maddie likes her pink dress and those high tops are way too cute! Oh, and speaking of wings, has Amanda eaten her Schooner wings yet? Did she share??? Can't wait to hear about her trip with Tonya. Hang in there, Andy! Soon, you will be on those beautiful greens of Portland. Thanks for sharing your weekend story with us.

    Love Aunt Sissy and Uncle Bubba

     
  • At April 15, 2007 at 11:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow
    there goes an hour of my life I'll never have again, now not only to I have to keep up with my student blogs but I need to read what Ms Maddie is up to also...I will have to put you on my netvibes.I hope your mum had a great time in Jingdezhen Maddie.
    Bye for now
    Hannah's mum

     
  • At April 16, 2007 at 12:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It was great fun reading your blog Maddie...
    signed
    Hannah's Mum

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home