Maddie's Minute

Maddie shares a minute of her life in this flat world of ours.....

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

We love Book Fairies!!


There are two things Maddie said to me this morning the very second she opened her eyes.
  1. I'm ready for ballet class now (more later on that one...)
  2. The Book Fairy is coming to school today
I knew it was Book Fair day at school, but I had no idea that it was the Book Fairy that delivered the books! I love looking at life through Maddie's glasses. I am so very humbled by being a mom!!

We kind of went way out as she took her shopping bag and stuffed it with books from every corner of the room. Before checking out, we went through and counted the books to see how many we were splurging on and found that Maddie had grabbed a book in Spanish. This is how the conversation went...

Me: "Maddie, mommy doesn't know how to read Spanish... I can read Japanese, but Spanish I cannot do."
Peanut: "Hmmm... maybe daddy can read it to me!"
Me: "Daddy can order certain items at restaurants across, but I don't know if he could read this book."
Peanut: "Hmmm... maybe Ms. Zhou can read it to me!"
Me: "Ms. Zhou can read Chinese, but not Spanish. What shall we do Maddie?"
Peanut: "
Hmmm... maybe we should give the book to Pattie Lou. Pattie Lou can read Dora Spanish!"

And so Maddie searched the room for the newest student to join her class. Pattie Lou is from Mexico and speaks very little English, but is quite the celebrity in class because she speaks Dora's language! Maddie was so excited to give the book to her and the heartfelt look of knowing she had just done something darn good beamed across her face!

In the end, we purchased 12 books! After the big purchase, we went back to class and I offered to read books to groups of kids. This may surprise you, but they all wanted to read the newest Dora books. Go figure...

Happy Reading Maddie Anna!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At November 6, 2007 at 3:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maddie Anna,
    You are so kind - always thinking of others. You are a very good friend. We are all so very proud of you!
    Maybe you could try to learn Spanish, too. Perhaps that can be arranged thru your school and your new friend's family.
    Love,
    Aunt Sissy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home