Maddie's Minute

Maddie shares a minute of her life in this flat world of ours.....

Monday, October 22, 2007

Lessons Learned... from a four year old


"Maddie, Amelia is four weeks old today!"
"Mommy, we're the SAME! I'm four too!"
"You're right Maddie, shall we go wake her up together?"
"I can do it Mommy..."

So she walked into Amelia's room and stood on stool so she could see in and then I heard it.

"Good Morning, Good Morning, Good Morning... I love you... Good morning to you... hey... Good Morning." Just then, Amelia opened her eyes, turned to her sister and gave the BIGGEST smile I have seen so far.

This is the simple song I sang to Maddie when she was little. It has definitely been awhile since I've woken Maddie up with that song, but she pulled it from her memory bank and has started to sing it to Amelia. My four year old daughter has taught me yet another lesson and I've embraced this one. You see, I've struggled with keeping Maddie's identity Maddie's. Do I create another blog for Amelia? Do I write in Maddie's blog? I've been thinking about this for weeks and I feel like all of the clouds of doubt have disappeared now thanks to the peanut.

Maddie and Amelia are not the same, but....
they have the same parents that love them both very much and they will share similar memories their entire lives. They are both sisters to each other and they are connected. Rather than fiercely hold onto their individual identities, I'll go with the flow, take my daughter's lead, and celebrate their identity as sisters and our identity as a family.

Thank you Maddie Anna... we love you!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At October 23, 2007 at 8:21 PM , Blogger b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

    Smile on sweet grand daughters. We love you both so much. A family is truly a wonderful gift and a sister to share a life with is a dream come true.

    Grandma Barbara

     
  • At October 25, 2007 at 4:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Such wisdom from one so young! This has to be one of the most simple yet profound blogs you've written. Grandma Barbara really hit the nail on the head too. It's all about Love and family.

    Amanda, you continue to make me so proud of you. You get it, honey, you get it. And, it is very clear that your daughters do, too!

    Love you all.
    Sissy

     
  • At October 28, 2007 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Alicia said...

    Your visitor from Qatar can't read these blogs without tears in her eyes! Maddie, you are such a sweet girl; thank you for the laughs and the wake-ups!

    Amanda, you truly are not only an incredible mother, but an incredible person. I'm honored to be your friend.

    Shall I admit I'm impressed that you could not only single parent during the Bangkok conference, but keep your girls entertained, nurse them back to health AND keep the blog updated?

    Wow. You inspire me :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home