Maddie's Minute

Maddie shares a minute of her life in this flat world of ours.....

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Family Day...


Sam and Connor came over for the last time today before we leave to China. Maddie simply loves them and they are soooooo good to her and for her. She just beams. I'll tell ya something... there are almost 12 years between her and Connor and there are nearly 12 years between me and my brother, Mikey. (I think I'm the only one in the world that still calls him that by the way.) When I was a little girl, I remember being in absolute awe when Mikey would shuffle cards. I remember being in absolute awe when we would make pudding on the stove together and he had the strength to push that flexible wire whisk to the bottom of the pan so that it did not burn. I really looked up to my big brother and Maddie is starting to do the same thing with Connor. He can do no wrong in her eyes.

Today we all went to the park to run around a bit. I love to see the joy in Maddie's face when she is on the swings. I caught her singing "our" song today when she thought nobody was looking or listening. I sang it to her when she was a tiny little baby in Saudi Arabia and we had a red Little Tykes booster swing on our front porch. I'm amazed that she remembers the words and sings it without any prompting.

Swingin', being, good as pizza pie...
Swingin', being, I could swing all night...

I close my eyes...

I count to three...
Now let me tell you...

What I see...

My toes up to the sky!

I think I'll swing all night!

Swingin', being, good as pizza pie...

Swingin', being, I could swing all night...


Aunt Susan and Elena came over in the afternoon to give Maddie an early birthday present. Elena is the girl in Maddie's family that she strives to be. This summer Maddie has "informed" me that we must stop trimming her hair because she wants long hair like Elena. She wants to wear Elena's dresses... she wants to be Elena. This Maddie Anna is one lucky kid - let me tell you.

After "the boys" and Maddie went shopping they came home and we invited Grandma Barbara and Grandpa Earl over for dinner at our place. Andy made a great feast of smoked ribs, pork chops, salmon, spuds, broccoli... it was kind of a potpourri feast! In other words, we were cleaning out our fridge! After dinner we sat around the table and played cards. It was great fun for Maddie to sit there and listen to all of us chattering at the same time. We were all talking and listening at the same time and she sat there desperately trying to follow. Before we knew it, she started talking very loud in tried to grab our attention with her own story. She was very serious and was thrilled to be a part of it!




Thanks Connor for showing Maddie was a good hand in poker looks like... she listened and learned! Of course, all she learned from me most of the night was how to say, "I fold!" I guess that's what big brothers are for though...

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At July 22, 2007 at 10:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Maddie,
    It looks and sounds like you are having great fun in Portland. To have your adventures posted here is so cool ~ this will be something you will cherish forever. I know we sure love to read all about you and your family there in Portland. Thanks for sharing these moments with us all.

    Just a little background info on "Mikey" for those you who don't know...Mikey is actually Jon! Even though his true name is Jon, we have always called him by some version of his middle name, Michael. Some of us call him Mikey, as your Mama does. Some call him Mark ( a long, but funny story), some call him Michelle (another long story, which you will have to ask him about some day), and there are some that call him Uncle Mike. Some folks even call him Jon, but not his Illinois family. He's a man of many names! No matter what we call him, we are all thrilled when he's around. Enjoy your remaining days in Portland, Maddie Anna!
    Love Aunt Sissy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home